I remember the day I got my braces like it was yesterday. The excitement of finally getting them, the anticipation of the perfect smile I would soon have, and the promise of a more confident me. All of these thoughts raced through my mind. Little did I know that my journey with braces would be anything but smooth sailing. I was expecting perfect teeth, but what I got instead was a face full of damaged skin and broken self-confidence. But I would soon learn that there was still hope to restore my face and my confidence. After months of researching and trying various treatments, I finally found the solution that worked for me. Through a combination of skincare, makeup and lifestyle changes, I was able to repair the damage caused by my braces and reclaim my beauty. Here’s how I fixed it!
Understanding the damage caused by Braces Smile
Over the years, research has shown that orthodontic treatment can sometimes cause skin problems due to the nature of the braces. Braces consist of metal wires that are bonded to the teeth. The wires are connected to the braces’ brackets, which are bonded to the skin around the teeth. Braces are essentially held to your teeth and skin with bonding agents. These bonding agents can often cause skin irritation, which can be quite painful. The irritation caused by the bonding agents can lead to other more serious skin conditions, including cuts, abrasions, swelling, and even ulcers.
All of these conditions result in unwanted facial swelling that makes braces patients look significantly older and can hamper their confidence. Although orthodontists usually instruct their patients on how to prevent and treat these skin problems, it’s up to the patients to be diligent and follow the instructions carefully. If you ignore the signs or neglect your skin, you may end up with a much bigger problem than a few red bumps. Brace patients therefore need to be extra diligent when it comes to their skin.
Skin Care Tips after Braces Smile
Brace patients need to be extra diligent when it comes to their skin care. To avoid the damage caused by braces, they should maintain a diligent skin care regimen. The following tips should help you keep your skin healthy while you wear braces. Remember, consistent care will prevent any skin issues from starting, while timely treatment will help to heal existing issues.
- Stay hydrated : Braces patients need to make sure they stay hydrated, as dehydration can cause more skin problems. Drink 8-10 glasses of water every day to prevent dehydration, maintain healthy skin and hair, and help with digestion.
- Avoid products with alcohol : Alcohol-based products can dry out your skin, so it’s best to stay away from these.
- Avoid products with SLS : Stay away from products with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), as it dries out your skin and can lead to irritation. Instead, look for gentler ingredients like Vitamin E and Aloe Vera.
- Use gentle cleansers : Mild and fragrance-free cleansers are best for sensitive skin. Avoid exfoliators, as they can cause irritation and worsen existing skin problems.
- Wear sunscreen : You should be wearing sunscreen even when you don’t have braces. Sunshine can damage your skin and cause wrinkles early, so make it a habit to wear sunscreen every day.
Makeup Tips to enhance your Smile after Braces
As braces patients, we need to be mindful of how our makeup can affect our skin, smile and teeth. If you want to enhance your smile, avoid the following makeup mistakes.
- Avoid thick, heavy foundations : Thick and heavy foundations can clog your pores, leaving your skin bumpy and red.
- Apply concealer as needed : Conceal only the areas that need it, like under the eyes and around the mouth. Don’t conceal your entire face, as this will cause your pores to clog.
- Use a light brush : A heavy brush can scratch your skin, so look for a light brush that will help your makeup glide smoothly and evenly.
- Avoid bright lipsticks : Stay away from bright, deep red or orange lipsticks as they can stain your teeth.
- Use a spritz of water or a makeup setting spray : Use a spritz of water or a setting spray to set your makeup and prevent it from rubbing off.
Lifestyle Changes to feel confident after Braces Smile
Changing your lifestyle is an effective way to speed up the healing process and prevent any skin issues. The following lifestyle changes will help you maintain healthy skin while wearing braces.
Eat healthy : To maintain a healthy and glowing skin, you need to eat healthy. Include fruits and vegetables in your diet to stay hydrated, calm inflammation, and brighten your skin.
Drink plenty of water : Dehydration can cause a lot of health problems, including skin issues. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
Sleep well : Getting your 8 hours of sleep every night can help you avoid a lot of health problems, including skin issues.
Avoid stress : Stress can cause a lot of health problems, including skin issues. Practice yoga or meditation to keep your stress levels at bay.
Wearing braces for smile can result in a lot of skin problems such as cuts and ulcers. This can be particularly problematic during the summer when you are likely to sweat more and need to wear lighter clothing. To avoid these issues, you will need to take extra care of your skin during the summer. Stay hydrated to avoid dehydration, wear sunscreen to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, and keep your skin clean to avoid breakouts. You can also wear a light bandana or wide headband to help keep the sweat from your face. With a few adjustments to your lifestyle and skincare routine, you can easily overcome these problems. With a healthy and glowing face, you can feel confident no matter what you wear or what the season is!
It is very important to maintain good dental hygiene so that you can lead a healthy life. Start following these dental care habits now and stay healthy for a long time. It is always better to be safe than sorry. A healthy smile is your best accessory. If you have any dental problems, then make an appointment with our expert Dentist at Royal Dental Clinics. We have highly experienced dentists who treat your dental issues and provide perfect smiles that last forever. Royal Dental Clinics not only excels at implants, but also modern cosmetic dentistry. It provides excellent cosmetic solutions, thereby providing a ‘smile makeover’.