Sinus communication also known as oro-antral communication. It is because an abnormal communication between the maxillary sinus and oral cavity. This communication caused due to various pathological processes.
- Traumatic extraction of maxillary molars
- While implant site preparation
- Tumor and cysts invading the upper jaw bone
- Dentoalveolar and periapical infections of maxillary molars
- Tuberosity fracture
- Flap necrosis
- Lefort I fracture
- Dehiscence following implant failure
Our body shows signs and symptoms if this communication has occurred . watch out for the symptoms if you have recently undergone dental treatment to rule out oro antral communication.
Symptoms Sinus communication
- Same side nose blockage
- Sinusitis- pain in mid face
- Fluids can come out of the nostril when gargling, drinking
- Change in sounds while speaking
- Altered taste
- Visible hole between mouth and sinus
- Air bubbles, blood secretions seen
Signs and symptoms vary because from patients to patients. Half of the patients show signs and symptoms within 1-2 days of treatment and majority of them show within 10-14 days.
Closure of this communication is very crucial. If not treated it can lead to severe infection, impaired healing and chronic sinusitis. Treating the communication is mandatory .
The following are the treatment options available:
- Communication of 1- 2mm can form a clot and heal on its own. Communications larger than this require surgical approach.
- Irrigation with povidone iodine and normal saline 1:1 ratio is carried out until the lavage fluid is cleared and no longer contains inflammatory exudate
- Buccal advancement flap
- Buccal pad of fat flap
- A denture can be given to protect the blood clot within socket from getting infected.
- Medication like antibiotics, nasal decongestants which helps in healing and thus increasing the success rate of surgeries
After the surgical procedure to obtain healing patient is advice to eat soft food and drink plenty of water. Hard , spicy and sour food should be avoided. No negative back pressure such as smoking cigarettes, sipping with straw, no strainous activities are strickly prohibited until wound healing as it increases the intra sinusoidal pressure. Blowing your nose and sneezing with a closed mouth is prohibited for 2 weeks after surgery.patients should not figit therefore with their tongue or finger over the suture line or flap for 7 days after surgery Salt luke warm water gargles from next day can help in keeping your wound clean. Use of steam inhalation such as menthol or benzoin every 6 hourly from next day can help in moistening the airway. One is not suppose to bend their head and neck for 2 weeks. Wound healing takes around 3-4 weeks.
Immediate communication closure success rate is 95% and secondary communication closure is as low as 67%.
We at royals perform oral antral communication surgeries and aim at giving best results with a strict post operative instructions .RoyalDentalClinics