Root canal involves removal of infected pulp and nerve from the root of the tooth, shaping the inside of the root canal, then sealing the space. With an appropriate planning and right treatment procedure, single sitting root canal for multiple teeth are possible.
Around 1.5 crore people undergo root canals in the western world, it is estimated that in India this number would be way higher. As a nation the amount of time & effort which a multiple sitting root canal therapy would take would amount to huge costs when compared with single sitting root canal therapies.
Single sitting root canal treatment fundamentals:
- The access cavity preparation should offer direct line access to the path of the canal.
- Use of new and sharp instrumentation allows minimal fatigue and friction.
- The instrumentation should not extend beyond the apex, as this causes damage to the natural vasculature.
- Use of copious irrigation with hydrogen peroxide, sodium hypochlorite and normal saline.
- The canal should be absolutely dry which no active oozing before sealing.
6. Keep the concerned tooth out of occlusion.
7. Enlarge the canal during preparation to approximately 3 times.
8. Vertical and lateral condensation techniques should be employed to not allow any leakage.
9. After sealing, the post endodontic filling should not have air spaces trapped.
10. Prophylactic antibiotics with therapeutic antibiotics if indicated.
Conclusion to Single Sitting Root Canal Treatments
The chances of a root canal failure with due care is quite rare, although not unheard off. In such cases, medical management, re-root canal therapy etc. are the choice of treatment. A cap a fixed over this tooth will have to removed or a direct access can be created in cases where SAPTeeth are used.
In order to keep the restorations looking their best, you should have a professional cleaning three or four times a year. The reason for such frequent cleanings are to remove food stains that accumulate in microscopic spaces on the surfaces of the teeth. You should follow all the instructions given meticulously and inform the attending dental surgeon for any uneventful happening during your next visit. This will enable the dental surgeon to guide you and also take suitable remedial measures promptly.Leave a reply